Tuesday, October 25, 2011



Some people don't believe how utterly allergic I am to tall mountains.

"You live near the Swiss Alps! That can't be true!" they say incredulously.

And yet...



My daughter caught this picture on her ipod driving home from Tuscany. It was the first time I had manifested so decisively against Alpine Oppression. Out of the Italian fields we drove, away from the wide open sea toward the Ticino Alps of southern Switzerland. And as we passed into the narrow mountain passes (that granted some say are breathtaking), I craned my neck to look out the front window.

"Ah yes...there's the sky...way up there...just a little patch...if I squint I can make out an inch of blue...how generous of them. For crying out loud!"

The car fell silent. All eyes on mom.

To my credit, I remained calm as I reached for the roll of paper towels. The Russian barreling down the road at 104 km an hour, I carefully ripped a strip of towel from the roll and tucked it behind my glasses.



"There. You see? Now I don't even have to look at them. Everything is as white as heaven. How serene. Don't mind me... carry on, carry on!"

I left my alp-protectors on until we pulled into town. And if you don't believe me by now... you never will.

:)

14 comments:

Ola said...

I always read books when I do not drive, I do not feel comfortable in hih mountains eaither:(

TexWisGirl said...

oh, sweetpea! you just need to move to the prairies of N Dakota or some wide open Texas land... :)

Raindrops and Daisies said...

That made me smile Allison.


x Fiona

Dawn said...

Oh hugs!
Can you PLEASE come over here to visit me? Or maybe we should house sit for each other;)
You are too funny. I think you and I are doing similar things at the same time....just opposite;)

Out on the prairie said...

Pretty funny. Where those Alps begin in Italy is truly a nice area.In Bosanno they found the Ice Man in a glacier.

Randy said...

It's Mrs. Napkinhead! I believe I believe.

lindasinklings said...

I believe you! So, you should maybe visit the flatlands, yes?? With some ruby reds?

Debbie said...

hahaha....what a sport you are to share this story and photo's!!

Lindsay @ Delighted Momma said...

Hahaha this is too funny! Love that she got of a pic of you with the towel on your face! Made me laugh :)


Enter to win a gold bow necklace from Olive Yew here!

Debbie said...

I'll carry on if you carry on...
:)

Love you,
Debbie

Michael Rowland said...

that's pretty funny,,,M

From Beyond My Kitchen Window said...

I know exactly how you feel. When we drove on the motor road to Mt. Washington I started to cry. Mt. Washington is the highest mountain in NE. I'm sure it pales in comparison to what you drive through.

penny said...

You are a luver of big sky country with open roads at heart my friend.. with a ghostly sense of humor that I so admirer Allie.

hugs,
giggling i am ;)

Carole Barkett said...

we live with scary mountain roads and see this same allergy in many relatives, love your story :O)