Tuesday, January 22, 2013


I've been walking about for some time, crossing bridges and changing habitat. Life has changed, and with it the blog I abandoned last year for a lack of time. I've missed this little dig, sitting at my desk with an espresso - or tea - depending on the mood.

So I'm back. Gazing out my new office window, the one the Russian pounded out of a double brick wall just so I could have light to work. Last year was a year of watching his muscles grow, not that I'm complaining, and you'll hear all about that in pictures.

I was in Venice last week on business, and when I arrived at the train station and crested the great staircase at the entrance to the city, I stopped and absorbed the beauty. My friend and artist, who would join me later that day, had assured me that I should not take the water taxi but rather enjoy the city streets, hang a left and continue on the short distance to our hotel. I did that.

After hauling my heavy suitcase up and down four bridges it dawned on me that this was going to be the terrain for the next 3,000 house numbers. I stopped and inquired, "Am I close to the Hotel Giorgione?"

Si, she replied, only otto brrridges to the hotel.

Otto bridges ... damn my artist.


And that was how I arrived panting and sweating at the lovely Hotel Giorgione in ancient Venice; and that is how I have arrived panting and sweating in 2013 ... only otto bridges more.

10 comments:

MarmePurl said...

Welcome back dear one. We have missed you so.

Michael Rowland said...

The hotel looks wonderful and charming like you do,,,M

Ola said...

Nice to see you back!!!

TexWisGirl said...

you made me smile. thanks for the grand re-entrance. :)

Unknown said...

I think your adventure and panting over the bridges and the narrow streets of Venice was worth the effort.
Welcome back Allison and have a beautiful year.
Costas

Judy said...

So glad to see you posting again, I've missed your posts!

Out on the prairie said...

So nice to hear from you.Venice sounds wonderful,I took my daughter there for her birthday

Meg said...

Woohoo!! So glad you're back! :D I can't wait to see all that you have been doing and how your lovely little house has come along. And just think of all the exercise that made you do all that panting and sweating. Now you can eat more dessert! ;)

From Beyond My Kitchen Window said...

Yay!!!! Welcome back friend. Venice is some place I would love to visit. Lucky you!

PJ van Zyl said...

love your writing. made me smile