Wednesday, March 6, 2013

My kids have friends - and their friends have moms.

These moms are in the kitchen first thing in the morning, spreading butter on bread and checking behind ears; these moms are up and dressed before the cock crows.

And then there are my kids - and their mom, who stays up late at night, who works on projects other than housekeeping, who waits for (get ready for this) her coffee in bed every morning.


It's true - shame on me - my kids wake me up in the morning with the java, and they know to make it strong if they want smiles and hugs before they leave for school. They tiptoe into my room and call out a sweet greeting, open the curtains and give me a snuggle. Tell me, would you make your own coffee if you were getting that?

Imagine the blow yesterday when I entered the kitchen to tidy up after the morning rush and stumbled upon this: DECAF. Horrors! And it had been torn open and used - that can only mean one thing.

The deception was too great to bear. I made myself a double ristretto, and then a double espresso just to wash away the memory, throwing back a jamocha for good measure.

From now on, all the decaf will be locked away in a safe place - out of the reach of children. That's a federal warning from the Mother Ship.

13 comments:

Buttons Thoughts said...

Oh Allison your poor kids:)
You should write a book on your fantastic parenting tips it sounds like you are doing it very well, except for the decaf:) B

Anonymous said...

Count your blessings- and yes indeed- lock the decaf up - thanks for my morning smile Alli ~:)

Jeanne said...

What great kids! .... but the decaf... glad you got it locked up and the Ristretto where it can be easily found. LOL

MTWaggin said...

Ahh what considerate kids...they know what is best for you! You are one lucky Mom indeed...even with decaf! LOL

Meg said...

LOL! Ah, joke's on you, mom! :P That is very sweet that they bring you coffee in bed though.

Out on the prairie said...

nice to get it in bed

Kim said...

So I guess it's the smiles and snuggles that get you up and going and not the caffeine, huh?

Kim said...

Oh, and don't be so hard on yourself. My coffee is delivered to me in bed too. ;)

Anonymous said...

Fantastic kids you have there!

I had a good chuckle reading this post. :)

Diane AZ said...

Wonderful, sounds like your kids are very sweet and have a good sense of humor too!

Dawn said...

Love it. I need to learn from you!!

Michael Rowland said...

Coffee,,,,ya,,,,

From Beyond My Kitchen Window said...

I hate to admit this but I am addicted to caffeine. One time I made decaf instead of regular and three hours later I thought I was having a stroke. The pain in my head was so intense the kids at school were asking what was wring with my eyes. I went to Dunkin Donuts and within 5 minutes after my first gulp my headache was gone. Now Allison, you are one spoiled Mommy!!! Good for you.